When evaluating a job offer, it is easy to just think “How much will I get paid?” and accept or reject the offer based on that. There is so much more to this decision than just the salary.
Remember, you are going to spend a significant part of your life at this company and you need to consider if you will be a good fit before making that commitment.
These are questions you should consider before saying yes.
- Is the company on the right strategic path, in your view?
- Are they sufficiently well-capitalized to make good on their strategy?
- Is the senior leadership team smart and ethical?
- Is your direct supervisor a human, insightful and wise leader — someone you could collaborate and brainstorm with?
- Are your co-workers happy to be working there?
- Is the job a great match for your talents and your passion?
- Is the environment clean, safe, well-lit, and generally pleasant?
- Does the company’s mission match your values?
- Would the work be fun and challenging for you — and still give you plenty of time for your personal life?
- Do you feel good when you’re in the company’s facility?
If your prospective employer passes this ten-point test, take the job!